Each year the Arizona Department of Transportation sponsors an award for “Airport of the Year.” Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport was this year’s recipient. The award was presented at the 2012 Arizona Airports Association’s annual Spring conference held in Tucson. Mr. Lynn Kusy, Executive Director, accepted the award on behalf of the Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport Authority and airport staff. Some of the highlights of Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport’s award success include:
- Fastest growing hub airport in the US with a passenger increase of 19 percent from 2010 to 2011.
- Service expansions by Allegiant Air and Spirit Airlines announcement of service to Dallas and Las Vegas.
- 171,200 total operations, making it the 65th busiest airport in the US.
- Completing over $2.7 million in capital improvements.
- Gateway Aviation Services delivered a record 15,066,458 gallons of aviation fuel in 2011.
We are pleased to congratulate Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport for being chosen for this prestigious award.